Skip Navigation
Get Involved
Grants & Programs About
Contact Donate

Get Involved




Instructions and FAQs

Click on a question to find the answer faster. Have a question not listed? ​Contact Abigail Kaup, Program Officer, at or (785) 357-0359. We’ll walk you through the process.

How to Bring a Humanities Kansas Speaker to Your Event

Speakers Bureau events can now be conducted online! 

1. Review the Speakers Bureau catalog and select a speaker and topic.

2. Contact the speaker and confirm time, date, location, and equipment needs. It is up to the host organization to provide the equipment necessary for the presentation or to confirm with the speaker that they can bring their own. Presentations can now be conducted online. Contact the speaker to discuss setting up a presentation online. Download this guide with step-by-step instructions for setting up an online presentation. 

3. Apply for funding to bring this speaker to your community. Find out how below. (Please note: Completed applications must be submitted six weeks before the event date to be considered for funding.) Presentations are intended for out-of-school adult audiences and must be free and open to the public. Humanities Kansas is unable to fund applications that do not meet these requirements.

4. Publicize your event. Download press releases and photos. Download a Humanities Kansas logo poster.

5. Tell us how it went. After the event, download and fill out a Speakers Bureau Evaulation and Cost Share Form


Who is Eligible to Receive Funding? 

  • Humanities Kansas programs are intended for out-of-school adults. Humanities Kansas is unable to support classroom visits or events designed for children or teens only.
  • Presentations must remain free and open to the public.
  • In-state nonprofits are eligible, including colleges and universities. Off campus venues are strongly preferred.
  • 501(c)(3) status is not required.
  • Still unsure if you're eligible to receive funding? Click here.


Award Amounts 

HK now pays speakers and discussion leaders directly. 

  • If the speaker/discussion leader is traveling up to 200 miles one-way for your event, the speaker will receive $300.
  • If the speaker/discussion leader is traveling 201 miles or more one-way for your event, the speaker will receive $500.
  • If the speaker/discussion leader is leading an online presentation, the speaker will receive $250.


Closing Reports: Evaluation and Cost Share

  • Organizations who receive funding support from Humanities Kansas are required to submit closing reports within two weeks after the event takes place. 
  • All Humanities Kansas funds are matched with local contributions called cost share. This includes volunteer or staff hours needed to organize the event, the rental of a meeting room, and other items. It does not have to include a cash match. Click here to see a sample cost share form.
  • Final Report: Evaluation and Cost Share 



  • Completed applications are due no later than six weeks before the event date. 
  • The events should occur within six months of the date of the submission to Humanties Kansas.


The Sponsoring Organization Will Be Responsible For:

  • Coordinating and publicizing the event.
  • Submitting a brief final report to HK within two weeks after the event is held. (Filing your final report ensures that your organization can continue to receive Humanities Kansas support grants, as funding allows).


How Many Humanities Kanas Programs Can You Receive?

  • In-state, nonprofit organizations are eligible for up to 4 funding requests per Humanities Kansas fiscal year (November 1 through October 31) as funding allows.
  • All Humanities Kansas programs – Speakers Bureau and TALK – are intended for an out-of-school adult audience and must be free and open to the public. Please contact Abigail Kaup at or 785-357-0359 if you have questions. It is possible that not every request for funding will be awarded.

What is a UEID (SAM)?

  • A Unique Entity ID (SAM) from is a 12-digit alphanumeric ID used to track federal funding. In April 2022, the federal goverment will stop using the DUNS number to uniquely indentify entities. 

  • You do not need a UEID (SAM) to apply to host a Speakers Bureau event.

  • How do you get a UEID? Follow this Quick Start Guide.


Questions? Contact Abigail Kaup at or (785) 357-0359. We’ll walk you through the process.

Apply Now


*Speakers Bureau is available to Kansas nonprofits free-of-charge, as funding allows.





Kansans Have
Joined the Movement